New Video Gives Us A Refresher On PPF Installation Techniques
Proper installation of paint protection film ensures the highest level of performance and protection. This is also true for non-traditional films launched from manufacturers that provide a special effect or finish.
This new video from expert installer Justin Pate and The Wrap Institute takes viewers step-by-step through the latest installation techniques, while demonstrating Avery Dennison Supreme Defense matte finish paint protection film on a Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 Spyder.
According to Pate, for a flawless install, he recommends:
1) Before getting started, be sure to have a clean surface and degrease the edges of the vehicle; including around the edges of the trunk and wheel base
2) Even if your surface is already “clean,” be sure to pre-clean the area for application. Spray the surface with a slip solution and squeegee the surface to remove any specs of dirt that may have drifted onto the car prior to install
3) When installing the film, be sure to start at the corners and work your way across the surface
4) During the install process you’ll want to even out the tension of the film using a glide solution and overlapping squeegee strokes
5) For air gaps, lift the film and even out the surface with an open hand before continuing the squeegee process
You’ll notice in the video how Pate and his team manage the trim line and offer a simple technique to prep the trim blade for an exact finish. Even with years of experience installing vehicle wrapping and paint protection films, it’s always a good idea to take a few minutes for a refresher that improves upon your skill set. Who knows, you might learn something new too. Check it out.